Monday, December 11, 2006

Blog #4

A Splash of Color, a Dash of Learning


REVIEW

Is color really better? According to David Baird from Lexmark Printing, color really seems to brighten things up in the world of education. Studies proved that students remember more of what they see when it is in color. Students also seem to pay attention longer when they are looking at something in color. This article goes on to discuss the pros of having color laser printers as opposed to conventional inkjet printers. Supposedly, laser printers will print more pages per minute than our usual inkjets. They require less maintenance in terms of how often their cartridges need to be replaced. The paper trays are larger and can generally hold 3 times as much paper. Laser printers have now become more cost efficient since technology prices have dropped so dramatically. Though laser printers still cost more than inkjet printers, the amount of maintenance required on a conventional inkjet will meet and surpass the cost of a laser printer.

COMMENTARY/OPINION
I definitely agree that schools should add some color to their curriculums. I remember always receiving black and white hand outs in school. I couldn’t possibly be more bored from looking at them. I always wanted to see what color the images on the paper were really supposed to be. In addition, I also memorize information better when I am looking at a color. If I ever used flash cards, I always remembered the answers from the bright yellow index cards. If humans have the ability to see color, than why not use the ability to its highest advantage? Costs really have dropped dramatically for many different types of technology. I have seen teachers ready to attack the one piece of machinery in the school that is causing problems. I, myself have wanted to kick my copy machine many times. Kicking it never helped the problem. If not for cost effectiveness, maintenance reduction, cheaper paper use and color printing, than schools should buy laser printers to keep the sanity of the teachers!

No comments: